Section 10 - Castile and León

Burgos - Castrojeriz - 41Km

We are again surrounded by small hills, crop fields and scattered groves. It’s an easy stage that takes place on dirt trails in good condition.

Take your time to enjoy the charming little villages, where you’ll feel the spirit of the pilgrims who travelled the Route to Santiago. Among them are Tardajos, built atop Roman settlements and beside the Roman road of Clunia; Rabé de las Calzadas, the point of intersection of two Roman roads; Hornillos del Camino, through which the pilgrims once flowed, memorialised by its old Pilgrims Hospital; and Hontanas, a town of numerous fountains whose name is derived from ‘Fontanas’; it still conserves a Jacobean vestige, the ‘Mesón de los Franceses’, a former pilgrim hospital.

Our last stop is Castrojeriz, a town that treasures, among its monuments, more than half a dozen Assets of Cultural Interest, among them the Villa Historical Complex. The Monastery of San Antón is a strong indication of its importance to the pilgrimage. Located two and a half kilometres away from the town, it is one of the most important landmarks of the French Pilgrims’ Route to Santiago. An impressive Gothic ruin, it was founded in the 12th century as a hospital for patients with Saint Anthony’s Fire, a medieval disease more feared than leprosy. One of the treatments for this illness was the pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela. In this convent, they received the Tau, a T-shaped cross by which these patients were distinguished, and the bread and wine of Saint Antón.

Points of Interest

Heritage: 8
  • This is one of the most magnificent ensembles of Gothic architecture in Spain and has been declared a World Heritage Site by the UNESCO. Its original layout and very unusual elevation make it a building which is also noted for its harmony. It suffices to look at the twin spires which rise to the sky in a profusion of lace-like shapes. Inside the building a bronze gravestone marks the resting place of the legendary Cid Campeador, Rodrígo Díaz de Vivar, and his wife Jimena. Its construction lasted from 1221 to 1765 and although Gothic style predominates numerous artistic references can be found all over the building.


  • It was built in the 14th century to serve as a gateway and tower of the walls which surrounded the city. It was rebuilt in the 16th century by Juan de Vallejo and Francisco de Colonia in the form of a triumphal arch. It features Emperor Charles V surrounded by the most significant personages of the history of the city and of Castile. It is noted for the Sala de Poridad, which was the hall where the Council of Burgos met until the 18th century, with its El Cid motifs and Mudejar coffered ceiling. Its Main Hall contains a painting by Vela Zanetti, remains of Mudejar plasterwork, and the pharmacy of the former Hospital de San Juan.

  • The city centre of Burgos has been adapted to include several itineraries on foot in peace and quiet. They exclusively follow pedestrian areas and allow visitors to choose their own pace. They are known for their avenues and plazas which encourage you to try the local gastronomy such as the Calle de San Lorenzo, Calle Avellanos, or Calle Sombrerería and the shops on the Plaza Mayor which still maintain the traditions from last century.

  • The Burgos Art Centre (Centro de Arte de Burgos, CAB) consists of three volumes which establish a dialogue between the modern building and the historical city. In order to achieve this it has several exhibition spaces which are connected by walkways that can be seen from the city. Its interior features a varied programme of exhibitions which reflect the latest trends in the world of art and holds over three hundred works of renowned contemporary artists.

  • The castle dates from the times of Count Diego Porcelos, the founder of the city of Burgos; it contains the Burgos Castle Interpretation Centre. From the Castle Viewpoint the whole of the historical centre of the city can be seen.

  • It was founded in 1187 by King Alfonso VIII of Castile and Queen Eleanor of England as a royal pantheon and place of spiritual retreat for the ladies of the nobility. Several kings were crowned here. It retains its Romanesque cloister and Mudejar decoration and also holds a Museum of Original Medieval Fabrics.


  • Founded in the late 11th century, this monastery went into decline in the early 12th century and did not recover until it was restored in 1434 after a fire. It retains its cloister, its chapterhouse, and the ruins of the church.

  • This 15th-century monastery was built by Isabel the Catholic for the sepulchres of her parents John II of Castile and Isabel of Portugal. It contains an altarpiece and the tombs of the King and Queen and of the Infante Alfonso by Gil de Siloé. It is also noted for the painting of the Annunciation by Pedro Berruguete and the 16th-century Flemish triptych of the Calvary.

Nature: 1
  • Discurre por el valle del río Cardeñadijo y la campiña meridional de la ciudad de Burgos a lo largo de 14 kilómetros atravesando tramos de asfalto y caminos de tierra. Ocupa una pequeña parte del trazado del ferrocarril que cubría el trayecto...

Gastronomy and wine: 2
  • The Arlanza Wine Route runs to the south of the city of Burgos and to the east of Palencia. Experience this route with its vineyards, its woods of holm oaks, common oaks, and sabinas; its quarters of wine cellars, its museums, and the reproduction of...

  • The Ribera del Duero Wine Route crosses the provinces of Burgos, Soria, Segovia, and Valladolid. Don't miss exploring this route on which wine and gastronomy of the highest quality are combined with art, history, and the most authentic nature. Gumiel de Izán is the village nearest to the EuroVelo 1 itinerary.


Album: share your pictures Post a Picture

Comments: Section 10

Section 10

Burgos - Castrojeriz - 41Km: 41

  • Elevation
  • Heritage