Section 28 - Andalusia

Valverde del Camino - San Juan del Puerto - 34Km

Through section 28, EuroVelo 1 takes us on a tour of the Greenway of Los Molinos del Agua, between Valverde del Camino and San Juan del Puerto, along the former railway line of the El Buitrón mining company. This was the first mining railway in the province of Huelva and operated between 1870 and 1969.

From Valverde del Camino, opposite the Huerta de Arturo Park, we take EuroVelo1, which runs along a gentle downward slope, parallel to the N–435, surrounded by farms and some Mediterranean grasslands.

The route, later, takes us into the Park of the Saltillo and Lomero Llano, allowing us to enjoy the good shade provided by the oaks, cork oaks, and the centennial piñoneros pines that mark our itinerary.

After leaving the park behind, EuroVelo 1 moves away from the national route until approaching it once more at the small town of Beas. Here it crosses the HU–3104 very near the municipal cemetery.

At this point, we have the option to head off towards Beas and from there to cover about fifteen kilometres by road passing the Hermitage of Los Clarines and later arriving at the small town of Niebla. Niebla is a millenarian villa and the old capital of the County of the same name. It stands on a hill above the Tinto River, within a walled enclosure which protects one of the most beautiful towns in Huelva.

Within the city walls part of its old layout is preserved, and among its monuments we can highlight the Alcazar de los Condes de Niebla, the Church of Nuestra Señora de la Granada, the Roman Bridge and the Aqueduct.

If we decide not to leave EuroVelo 1 and continue from Beas, after several more kilometres along the Greenway, we reach the town of Trigueros, located in the Tierra Llana and belonging to the region of El Condado de Huelva, on land dedicated to the cultivation of cereals, grapes and olives.

It has monuments of interest such as the Church of San Antonio Abad, the convents of Carmen and Santa Catalina and the Hermitage of La Misericordia.

In its surroundings, about ten kilometres away, is the Dolmen de Soto, a funeral construction from the Copper Age whose state of conservation makes it worth the effort.

San Juan del Puerto awaits us a few kilometres further on, where the section ends and EuroVelo 1 embraces the Tinto River again.

 

Points of Interest

Heritage: 10
  • From Beas, we have the possibility of turning towards the town of Niebla taking the asphalted road HU–3107, finding on the way this singular 14th century chapel built on the remains of the old Castle of Los Clarines, a fortress that dominated the small hill on which the chapel sits, and from which there is a perfect view of the lower course of the Tinto River.

    +info

  • Inside the walls stands the "Castillo de Niebla" or "Castillo de Los Guzmanes", of Roman origin, which preserves elements of the old Arabic fortress, although its current structure dates from the fifteenth century.
    From its towers you can see magnificent views of Tinto river and the city of Niebla.

    +info

  • This building is a superimposition of religious buildings from different periods, mainly the main mosque from the Muslim era and a Gothic–Mudejar church.
    Many original elements of the Islamic building from the end of the 10th and beginning of the 11th century have been preserved.

    +info

  • This would be the ancient minor mosque from the Muslim era which was conceded to the Jews of Niebla by King Alfonso X as a synagogue, and where Christians later built the Church of San Martin.
    The Church of San Martin was declared a Historic–Artistic Monument in 1922.

    +info

  • Located on the Tinto River at the entrance of the town, it is one of the most well known architectural elements of Niebla.
    The current bridge rises above the foundation of the original one, which was part of the Antonino itinerary that led to Italica and Híspalis, passing through Itucci, Tejada, today Escacena del Campo. This bridge, after its construction, was dedicated by the decurion Marco to the goddess Minerva.

    +info

  • Outstanding construction at provincial level of Gothic–Mudejar style that sits on the remains of an ancient 12th century Almohad fortress , consisting of the walls and one of the four towers.

    +info

  • Located in the Plaza del Carmen, it was founded in the first quarter of the 16th century.
    The former convent residence is arranged around a central cloister, with two superimposed floors and semicircular arches on its sides on pillars with imposts. The wooden roofs of the galleries that delimit the convent are simple and of unquestionable popular construction.

    +info

  • If we decide to visit the Dolmen de Soto, we will find on our way this Roman watering place from the 2nd Century BC located beside the old Roman road that linked Seville with Ayamonte, crossing the whole province of Huelva from east to west.

    +info

  • Leaving by Calle Sevilla at about ten kilometres from Trigueros, we find this dolmen belonging to the family of the "long corridor" dolmens, being 21 meters long, it is the biggest of those found in the province and one of the biggest in the Iberian Peninsula.
    In 1931 it was declared as National Monument.

    +info

  • In this place, on the banks of the Tinto River, is where the El Buitrón railway line ended, and today corresponds to the EuroVelo1 route between Minas de Riotinto and San Juan del Puerto.
    The history of the San Juan del Puerto dock is closely linked to the history of the railway and mining in Huelva during the 19th and 20th centuries.

    +info

Nature: 2
  • Only six kilometres from Valverde del Camino and next to EuroVelo 1, we find the peri–urban park of El Saltillo and Lomero Llano. The park, a traditional pasture of oaks and cork oaks, has two recreational areas and a reservoir. The local inhabitants have traditionally visited here to celebrate pilgrimages and other recreational and cultural activities.

    +info

  • Los Molinos del Agua Greenway runs along the old railway line of the El Buitrón mining company. This was the first mining railway in the province of Huelva, and operated between 1870 and 1969. It linked the mines of El Buitrón with the pier that the mining company owned in San Juan del Puerto.
    This Greenway has few slopes, is an accessible route for people with reduced mobility or motor disability, and ideal for bicycle tourists.

    +info

Gastronomy and wine: 1
  • Under this DO there are three high quality products produced in the lands of the Condado de Huelva, such as wines (white, red, generous, etc.), vinegar and orange wine.
    EuroVelo 1 offers us the possibility of knowing some of the wineries registered in this DO as it passes through the town of Trigueros or taking a detour to Bonares or Bollullos Par del Condado, epicentre of the wine producing activity of the region.

    +info

Shops and cycling services: 2

Album: share your pictures Post a Picture

Album is empty

Comments: Section 28

Section 28

Valverde del Camino - San Juan del Puerto - 34Km: 34

  • Elevation
  • Heritage
  • Nature
  • Shops and cycling services