Section 30 - Andalusia

Gibraleón - Ayamonte - 48Km

In this last section of EuroVelo 1, we start our pedalling from Gibraleón, where we go West crossing the Odiel River along the old Ayamonte railway route.

The first town we find on the way is Cartaya. Here we can detour to access the small fishing town of El Rompido, located in the middle of the Natural Site of Marismas del Río Piedras y Flecha del Rompido and , besides tasting the interesting local gastronomy, we can cross by boat (depending on the season) to the beach of La Flecha del Rompido.

After Cartaya we find Lepe, a prosperous town famous for its strawberries and wines, which we can sample in one of the “zampuzos” that exist in its streets. From here, we can jump to places like Puerto del Terrón or Islantilla beach and smell the aroma of the Atlantic Ocean.

After passing the town of La Redondela, EuroVelo 1 leaves us very close to one of the largest dovecotes of its kind; Huerta Noble. This dates from the 18th century and had a capacity of 36,000 pigeons.

From this point on, the route runs along the edges of the Marismas de Isla Cristina Natural Site, a universe of water and salt which offers us such luminous surprises as the Salinas de Isla Cristina, where sea salt is still produced in a traditional way. The town of Isla Cristina, its beaches and its fishing heritage, are just a few kilometers away from EuroVelo 1.

If we decide to continue in the direction of Ayamonte, we will only have about seven kilometres left to finish the stage, but before that we will find the Ecomuseum Molino Mareal El Pintado, the best preserved tide mill in the province of Huelva.

Once in Ayamonte, on the banks of the Guadiana River, we will be able to enjoy its varied tourist attractions before continuing towards neighbouring Portugal; linked by ferry all year round.

Points of Interest

Heritage: 5
  • La Zúñiga Castle was built under royal licenses granted to Mr. Pedro de Zúñiga in 1417 and 1420, to defend the boat crossing of the Piedras River. This work was finished in 1428.
    It is the best preserved of all the fortresses built on the Huelva coast.
    It is not possible to enter the castle as it is only used to hold music festivals and cultural events.

    +info

  • Declared a Place of Ethnological Interest, this 18th Century dovecote is considered the largest in Europe, hosting around 36,000 pigeons in its heyday.

    +info

  • From the mouth of the Guadiana to that of the Guadalquivir, a chain of fourteen fortifications was built during the reign of Philip II, practically on the ocean shore.
    Few of them have retained their original location as the coastline has changed, but near Isla Canela we find the Canales Tower, a living witness to those times.

    +info

  • In the heart of Ayamonte we find the Casa Grande, a building constructed by D. Manuel Rivero in 1745, following the pattern of the Cadiz houses of the time. It has three floors and a beautiful Stone façade.
    In the permanent exhibition hall, there is an exhibition of the Flemish Tables by Jan Sanders Van Hemessen (1500–1556), considered to be one of the best collections of Flemish paintings in Andalusia.

    +info

  • The Palace of the Marquis of Ayamonte is a notable 17th century building that served as a residence for the Marquises of Ayamonte, who also collaborated in the construction of the Franciscan Convent and the Church.
    Completely restored, it now constitutes the studio of the Ayamonte painter Francisco Aguilera, the current owner of the building.

    +info

Nature: 4
  • The Natural Area of the Piedras River and Flecha de El Rompido is set around the mouth of the Piedras River, comprising a system of marshes and an unusual sandy formation reaching from some ten kilometres, parallel to the coast, known as a "fleche litoral" (bar).
    In the Flecha you can enjoy kilometres of white sand and the intense blue of the sea, virgin beaches (one of the best preserved in Europe), marshy landscapes, estuaries and dune systems.

    +info

  • Only three kilometres from EuroVelo 1 we have this natural beach of fine sand bordered by a pine forest.
    This beach is home of a small chapel in the pine copse, where each year in June there is a pilgrimage in honour of the Virgen de la Esperanza de La Redondela.

    +info

  • The Marismas de Isla Cristina Natural Site is a complex of marshes associated with the mouths of the rivers Guadiana and Carreras, heavily influenced by the Atlantic tides. It is an important breeding area for ardeidas and other wetland birds, as well as for the winter passage of waders, gulls and terns.

    +info

  • Molino Mareal El Pintado is surrounded by a unique setting within the Marismas de Isla Cristina Natural Site. It is a large tidal salt water mill, recently restored, dedicated to milling by taking advantage of the force of the tides to move its mill wheels.

    +info

Gastronomy and wine: 1
  • The salt of Isla Cristina is recognized by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries of the Junta de Andalucía as the only one that is made by artisanal processes.The liquid salt has iodine, calcium, fluorine or magnesium, and is always obtained from virgin salt.
    This is therefore, an exceptional craft, located in a unique natural environment, in the middle of Natural Marshes of Isla Cristina.

Shops and cycling services: 6

Album: share your pictures Post a Picture

Album is empty

Comments: Section 30

Section 30

Gibraleón - Ayamonte - 48Km: 48

  • Elevation
  • Heritage
  • Nature
  • Shops and cycling services